Monday, February 22, 2010

Phase Two

So I decided I wanted to share some of my business experience with the class.

At 14 I started a job that allowed me to enter the telecommunications field. I started working at a cell phone store. At 14, you really arent picky with where you work, I thought if it puts a little extra money in my pocket and its not a dirty job, its perfect. Long story short, and a few stores later, I was working directly for Verizon Wireless an Assitant Manager. Great corporate experience (these guys are worse then some financial firms on privacy!) I had a number of management courses there and eventually decided to go on my own, I left the company and opened a Verizon Store in bay ridge brooklyn. It was always a desire to own a business, and here I was at 20 years of age having my own. Another great experience, because with it out I never would have realized how much responsibility and time is necessary to operate a successful business. A year into it (a quite successful year I may add), I realized it is not at all what I want, I was running a store 7 days a week 24 hours a day, waking up at 3am realizing I forgot to lay a mouse trap (yes, it happens). I sold the business and got involved in the medical field. I worked for a sleep center that grew to the top 10 in the country under my supervision. I handled the finances, marketing, PR, etc. I like getting involved in everything, because unfortunately its rare to find someone who will dedicate the same passion as the individual who is liable. The challenges allowed me to grow my mind and abilities, but unfortunately only one commitment can receive 100% from anyone at a time, and my college classes began to suffer, at that point I was going to night school. I had to leave the center and found a part time job in the same business I was in for 7 years, verizon wireless. Currently I work at a few VZW stores and (finally) I am graduating Baruch this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment